- Hopefully had last cold run last week. Temperatures were in the high 20's and I was running straight into a 25+ mph headwind. Then it started to snow. Glad spring is here.
- Took the GMAT on Saturday, which meant there was less time for my mid-long run. Not only was the test a total bastard asshole, but it also interfered with my running. What a jerk.
- Speaking of spring, my Monday run was very springlike; mid-50's temperatures with on and off sprinkles. Twenty degrees makes a big, big difference when you're soaking wet: miserable in 30 degrees, bearable (almost pleasant) at 50 degrees.
- My long run last week was almost doomed from the start. My legs were really tight and didn't get loose when I got warmed up. I debated quitting at mile twelve (of thirteen), but since I was a mile away from home I still would've had to walk it in. No brainer.
- It's well documented that long runs are my nemesis, and last week is a good example of that. The only issue with assuming I suck at them is I can and have run long run distances in the past month on my Saturday runs with my coworker, Scott. The three differences on those runs and my solo long runs are running with someone (no shit, but it's easier to run with a friend), I have been eating gels on my runs with Scott, and I haven't been running hard the day before the successful runs.
- My schedule is now altered to save my speed/tempo efforts for later in the week and especially not the day before a double digit run.
- I'm incorporating foam rolling after my runs now (more on that later).
- I will eat a gel anytime I exceed an hour running (I'm hoping to score a bunch of free ones).
- As I was running along the lower (north of the falls) Niagara river in Youngstown this weekend, I found an unused and unopened Clif Shot Block gel pack on the path. Score! It must've fallen out of someone's pack earlier that day, and I'm going to use it on this week's long run.
- AM and I skipped skiing on Sunday becuase she had a lot of studying to do, so I had the whole day to brew some beer. That was fun and it's about two weeks away from bottling. Cross your fingers!
- While I was brewing, I needed to go out and buy a funnel so I ran out and back to the store. My legs were screaming! It was one of the hardest three miles I've done in a long time. Must foam roll more often.
- I've now mentioned the foam roller twice. I made a foam roller for about $5 with some scraps from Home Depot back in the fall. I need to stop being an idiot and use the things I buy/build to aid my training.
- I entered into a challenge at Strava.com that will award me 8 Gu gels if I run 100 miles from March 9 - April 9 and 24 (!) gels if I run 200 miles in that time. Check it out here, GPS recorded runs are the only entries allowed.
- Lastly, a poop related bullet. I waited out a deuce before going out on my run yesterday and was rewarded with a fantastic run. No sharp cramps leading to huge farts that, in turn, lead to the need to have to go NOW after four to six miles. Fantastic.
Early March 2012 Bullets
I know just doing bullets is kind of lazy, but I've been pretty lazy lately. These bullets save me time and yours, so be happy.